Friday, March 13

The Weekender

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to call your attention to a series of exhibits. First of all, I'd like you to take a look at this:


That's what a 9.21 lb. pork shoulder looks like after braising for 10 hours in a slow cooker with onions, garlic, apple, rosemary, sage, thyme, and beer. Pretty tasty-looking, huh? Well, take a look at that very same pork shoulder after it's been pulled and tossed with a little bit of barbecue sauce and the drippings from its long, delicious braise.


Now, if I could call your attention away from the pork. Don't worry, we'll get back to it in due time. But for now, I'd like to show you these.


They're exactly what they look like, ladies and gentlemen. They are, in fact, hot dogs warmly embraced by two strips of bacon each. And as anyone knows, the best way to cook hot dogs wrapped in bacon is to deep-fry them.


Here, for instance, is an example of one of those bacon-wrapped hot dogs resting gently on a bun with mustard, relish, and chopped pickled jalapenos. Looks good enough to eat, doesn't it? But we're not done with it yet. Oh no. We are not.

We're going to take that pulled pork we prepared earlier. And we're going to put it on that bacon-wrapped hot dog. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: The Weekender.


Why The Weekender? Damned if I know. The concept of a bacon-wrapped hot dog topped with pulled pork blew out enough fuses in my brain to keep me from coming up with a good name. It's my disgusting creation, I'm allowed to name it.

Soak it in, folks. I've got another bad idea involving hot dogs, but you'll just have to wait and see...

No comments: