Monday, December 14

Zucchini fettuccine

I blame Jimmy Buffet. You may be wondering how I got to that. Rock Band is involved. You can download "Cheeseburger in Paradise", and the lyrics just wouldn't leave my head. In particular, "Not zucchini fettuccine or bulgur wheat." That actually sounds good.

Okay, maybe not the bulgur wheat. I have no idea what that is. I don't think I've ever seen it in the grocery stores either.

Aaaaaanyway, zucchini fettuccine. I always thought it sounded good, but then I had an idea -- there's this stuff called "spaghetti squash," so named because you can get the flesh to render into spaghetti-like threads when you rake them with a fork. Zucchini's a squash, right? Hmm....

Slide your zucchini through your mandolin slicer with the large julienne attachment. And use a cut-proof glove! They're only like $25 at your local cookware store, plus they're like chainmail. Oh yeah.

I tried adding a yellow squash to the mix, but they don't take to noodling quite as well as the green ones, particularly because of the seedy middle.


Mince a handful of garlic, and french an onion.


Sweat all of that in some olive oil and some salt, then add some roasted red peppers in their liquid. Let the liquid boil off so you're down to a little oil and vegetable goodness. Over in the land of pasta, boil the fettuccine to about 1 minute short of al dente, then add your fettuccined zucchini. Boil for 1 more minute, then drain.


Throw in your oil and other vegetables, toss, and serve.


Hey, even I can go vegetarian periodically. And now, for a big warm bun and a huge hunk of meat. And maybe a margarita.

No comments: