Tuesday, November 3

Shoyu

So in case you're wondering, Raoul is without a camera. Hey, I know what to get him for Christmas! In the meantime, I'll be picking up the slack. Here we have a little environmentally friendly cooking. Take a look here for Aida Mollenkamp's recipe for Shoyu Chicken. (See, it's not all Church of St. Alton here.) It's really tasty, involves a bunch of soy and chicken broth with some ginger and garlic and other things.

I always cut the recipe in half, not just because I can't get 6 pounds of chicken thighs in most of my pots, but neither can I cram that much liquid in them either.

Serve with rice, drizzle sauce over everything. But we're not done yet.

Stash all this in your fridge overnight. The fat that renders off the chicken will float to the top. Skim it off, if you want... ya pansy. Fat is flavor, so says Kate's mother, and I'm inclined to agree. So just fish the chicken out and set it aside.

Oh, it's still good, you'll still eat it, but you want to just heat the sauce through so it becomes one consistency again.

It's a coincidence that I mentioned fish, because that's what we have here, along with a two pound bag of stir fry veggies. You know where this is going, right?

Do this in reverse order: if you flake the fish, it'll cook in no time flat, so start your stir fry with the vegetables.

Add the fish, and some of the shoyu sauce left over from the chicken.

And serve with rice.

I'm going to have to find new things to do with this sauce... Maybe mix it with ground beef to make shoyu meatloaf? I'll let you know.

No comments: